Thursday, January 3, 2013

Long Time Coming

I really can't believe how long it has been since I posted.  It has been a busy semester full of LOTS of really great experiences.  I am so relieved to have made it through my toughest semester of school and to know that I only have one left is kind of crazy.  I hope to use everything I have learned, including the understanding that cleaning my house doesn't have to consume me.  I was able to present my paper at a national conference in October.  I won an award of excellence and 250$.  Not only that but they have confirmed that it will be published this spring in a scholarly journal.  Which is completely crazy to me. 
Shay and I went to Chicago for the first time as he also presented at a national conference in December.  The only difference is that he didn't have to write a 20 page paper.  He did a great job speaking about job growth.  It wasn't the romantic trip I had planned, since Shay ripped his calf muscle playing football at the Turkey Bowl on Thanksgiving day.  I had to push him in a wheelchair the entire time.  That sounds insensitive, but I asked him not to play at the football game because he would hurt himself.  Also, the crowds were insane on the Magnificent Mile and pushing a wheelchair was insanity.  But I do have to say that Garrett's Popcorn, Chicago mix, was delicious and I have craved it multiple times since then.
I have put on at least 8 lbs since the semester finished, I am not used to having time to eat so much.  Which leads me to one of our goals this year.... Cutting out sugar.  I am so sick of feeling yucky.  We are not buying any more sugary treats.  I will see how this goes, but I am excited.  Shay and the kids are on board as well.
It is going to be a great year!

2 comments:

likeschocolate said...

I am on board with you! I think I have gained at least 10 since Thanksgiving and I can no longer fit in my pants. I refuse to buy bigger, so that means one think no more junk food. I also want to climb the Great Wall when we pick up Avery, so that is another motivator. Good luck! You have done it before you can do it again, as for me can you say a prayer. Sugar has been my BFF for way to long. Hope you have a great sememster. You are almost there and you should be really proud of yourself. I don't know if I could have done what you have accomplished.

christy said...

Love the update. You're awesome. I laughed about pushing Shay in a wheelchair in Chicago. Silly husbands. Ryan flies through Chicago a lot and lately he's been bringing home some Garrett's popcorn. Delish. Good luck on the no sugar. I want to do the same thing but don't know if I have the willpower.