Yesterday, when I was at the thrift store, I saw a bunch of trophies. I went over and picked out the most generic one they had and bought it. Cost $1. I also got Adam almost all the summer clothes he will need for 1/2 off (Monday is half off day), so I ended up spending about 12$. Moving on. I knew I had to come up with an activity for Family Home Evening. (We do our lesson on Sunday and activity on Monday, it breaks it up for the little kids.) After a quick dinner of taquitoes with no plates, which everyone loved, we had a fun game night. The way it works is that the winner of the games gets the trophy until next game night where another winner will claim it. I titled it the traveling trophy.
We started off with Uno, which the twins LOVE. The noise level was through the roof and I threated to quit and send them all to bed, but we made it through with Elly as the winner. The others were not too happy to have lost. But I told them the competition for the trophy wasn't over and we moved on to Yahtzee. That calmed the hounds and once again I was threating to send them all to bed if they couldn't use their inside voices. After about 5 rounds and some out of control children, I gave everyone one more go and said we will call a winner from the highest score. Elly and Jane were the only ones to have gotten Yahtzee and Elly pulled out a win on her last roll, barely. So amidst whaling and nashing of teeth I crowned Elly the winner of The Trophy by raising her on my shoulders and giving her a hip hip hurray.
She was so happy, she smiled and I carried her to bed on my shoulders and she put her trophy on the dresser and couldn't stop looking at it. This morning when I was helping her get ready, she said "hey mom thats my trophy isn't it?" I said yes Elly, it is, for now anyway.
3 comments:
What a great idea! I love reading your blog.
Love it! I just found your blog and I"m so glad! We have already left and I'm bummed we never got together! Thanks for being such a great friend. I'm excited to follow your blog! Ours is: http://www.oureverydayadventures.blogspot.com/
I love this idea! I might even steal it. Our kids love to play games too . . . and I hear you about the noise level!
Post a Comment