Friday, February 22, 2008

The Pinewood Derby




So we experienced our first Pinewood derby. I had great ideas to have the coolest best looking car around, but Skyler refused to let me help, so he painted it black and smeared different color paint all over it and named it the stain. As you can imagine I was a little annoyed and tried not to look connected to the stain while at the race.
Shay of course wanted to buy the 30$ wheels so they could guarantee a win, but I am way too cheap to let him do that. So he read everything he could online and worked hours on the darn thing. Shays dad told him to make it weigh a little over five ounces and they would just let you go. Well that wasn't in the days of digital scales, because Skylers car weighed in at 5.1 and they said fix it. So Shay had the drill and began to remove some weight via putting holes in the bottom of the car. Well after about 18 holes in the botttom we finally got it to weigh in at 5 ounces. Well shay decides he needs to add more graphite because it has to be all gone. Well when he does it weighs in at 5.1 again, so we had to add 8 more holes before we finally got it back down to 5. I renamed the car the honeycomb because of all the holes. So to the races.... Skylers car did great. He beat out 6 other cars and ended up tied for 3rd. The race was so close they couldn't call it, but ended up giving it to the other boy (I think because he had a cooler car) But Skyler was a great sport, especially considering how close he had come to bringing home a trophy. His best friend is the one who beat him. Good times, Shay is already prepping for next year. We will conquer then, I am sure of it.


No comments: