Now moving on...This years Pinewood Derby was postponed a couple of times and finally they set a date. But we didn't find out about it until the day before and Shay happened to be out of town. So here I was with a block of wood and a nine year old, wondering if I could do this. Skyler and Shay placed 4th last year, almost winning third place but losing by a smidgen, it was super close. I don't know how many of you have almost tasted victory just to have it pulled out from under you, but I have (Settlers of Catan anyone?) it makes you crazy for a win. So this is the situation I was left with.
I called a neighbor who's son won last year and he kindly brought me all his tips and secrets to winning. Skyler wanted a Cheese wedge, so we painted it super cool like Swiss cheese with a mouse driver. Then we got to work on the wheels, on the axles, on the alignment, waxing and shining and sanding. Added the weight and we were ready. I felt good about it.
On the way to church I started getting nervous. I started thinking about how horrible it could be. Last year a kid had started crying and telling his dad how awful he was because his car didn't win one race. I could see that happening, "Moms aren't supposed to make pinewood derby cars, your the worst mom ever" with tears and frustration. So Skyler and I talked and he seemed very forgiving of how bad we might do, but before I felt we might do alright, now I wasn't so sure.
I started thinking about Judgement day and how I have always had confidence that I would be alright, but as I was getting close to the real judgement on my Pinewood Derby car, I realized maybe I was fooling myself. So I was not only nervous for my car, I started to worry about my eternal welfare as well.
Then the racing started, I felt nervous, but tried to stay composed. Shay had got an early flight and made it just in time. This eased my intensity some. Skyler won his first race. Phewf (that's what Elly says) That is all I asked for. I felt great. He won his second race and his third. They announced Skyler and Cam (the boy he is sitting next to) are in the finals and will compete for first and second place. What? Our car is going to take first or second...I couldn't believe it. I began thinking that maybe I am not going to be doomed on Judgement day, I just have to keep doing my best.
2 comments:
That is great! Congrats to both of you!
Fun post! And hooray for one year of blogging. I think the website is called blurb or lulu, etc. Just google blog book.
Post a Comment