After reading Audra's post about feeling uncomfortable in crowds, I thought about all the times I have said the wrong thing, had the wrong thing said, or just barely kept from making a fool of myself. I also think that sometimes we all feel a little uncomfortable or unable to make conversation, so don't think you are the only one. I have definitely felt that. Just the other day we got a new missionary in our ward. I was so excited, don't get the wrong idea, but he was black. I thought, great, finally someone not from Utah. I meant to ask him two or three times where he was from by saying something like, " We need some missionaries from somewhere other than Utah, where are you from?" (Not that Utah is bad, I have a special place in my heart for Utah, but it is nice to see that there are faithful saints in lots of different places.) So I kept getting sidetracked and never asked. Thankfully! He stood up on Sunday and said he was from Salt Lake City, Aw man.
Speaking of saying the wrong thing my brother loves to make people feel awkward. Whenever someone asks about our mom he loves to say "My mommas dead." Yeah that will make anyone feel like a dirt bag. She is by the way he isn't just saying that. How mean is that though.
I think one thing to remember is that we are all human, very few people go around with the intent of offending someone. I hope we can realize this when someone says something that is a little off. I can almost guarantee they are later thinking how stupid it was to have said that. I know I do.
What is the stupidest thing you have ever said or done?
3 comments:
Thanks for this post, Misty! I was nervous posting about my woes (sp?), but I'm glad I did, to hear other's perspective. It has made me feel a whole lot better about things.
And it has also been good to realize that I am PMSing. :) Too emotional.
Once when I sold portraits I told someone her daughter looked adorable, and it was a son. And he was old enough (like 6 or 7) to not look like a daughter anymore. ouch.
I have never heard you OR Audra say the wrong thing!!
there are so many I can't even begin to count...mostly I try to forget them as quickly as possible.
Post a Comment