I have been feeling like a total WT the last couple of days. Going beyond my norm to feel extraordinarily WT. For those of you who don't know what that means WT= white trash. The feelings began when I was at the thrift store yesterday. Adam was crying and the girls were running around like they were at a McDonald's play place. I kept trying to involve them in the process of looking for cute things for Adam and themselves but they insisted on running rampant like a bunch of hoodlums. Finally I decided to change Adams diaper, hoping he would stop crying so I could look for a couple of things on my thrift store list. It didn't work, he was hungry. Rather than stop looking for great thrift store bargains on half price day, I decided to nurse him while I looked. Yes you are right, that is a very WT thing to do, added to the fact that I have 3 little mismatched self-clothed girls running around the store ignoring their pleading mother who is begging them to stay by the stroller. I was covered by a blanket and probably would have been able to finish without feeling too trashy, when all of a sudden...BAM. I knew one of mine were involved. So I quickly lay Adam in his car seat, pull my shirt down and run. All the while my milk is pouring out all over my shirt. I come around the corner and Jane is on the floor with a headboard and foot board laying on the ground beside her. I grab her and run back over to Adam so I can take the blanket off his face and stop my milk from gushing everywhere. You say, can it get any more WT than that? Yes, I say, yes.
Then the saga continues, today I am so tired...(I do have an 8 week old and 4 others, so I can be tired every now and then) when I remember I have to replace a movie from the library that Elly broke and return 4 others. They are a dollar a day each, so I have to do it today. It was 4:30 and I load all the kids in the car. We get to Target and Elly is a total mess, crying, yelling, stomping. For some reason all the kids like to go total berserko when we go to any store. So people are looking at me because I have 5 kids, I look hammered, they look hammered and they are acting like complete loonatics. Not only do I feel what they are thinking, they are probably right. I have way too many kids to be in public, where people should act a certain way and that way is the complete opposite than the way my kids are acting. So I get out of the store, Elly is running one way, Skyler and Kaely another. I have Jane and Adam in the stroller, cars are all over. I say come on, stay by me, your gonna get run over, people are looking at me like I am WT and I am feeling it, when Kaely jumps in front of the stroller. I run over the back of her foot and she screams bloody murder. That is the pinnacle of my WT moment. I wondered why I had brought my misbehaving children in public when I am too tired to handle it. So the moral of the story, I don't know, I am too tired. If you think of one let me know.
5 comments:
I can totally empathize--today was a day that I'm amazed the kids (and I) all survived until bedtime. I too went to target (but I only had 2 with me) and an acquaintance saw me and said "wow--you look like 3 is really giving you a run for your money"...um...yeah...I have 4. "4--oh wow "(thinking--what are you doing with 4 when you can't even handle 2!)
Someone who doesn't have children can't possibly imagine what a chore going to the store is with one or more kids. You are amazing to even attempt it.
By the way, I don't think you're white trash at all! I wish more moms would feel comfortable about nursing their kids in public places.
Next time you want to go shopping, maybe we can work something out so you can drop your older kids off here and just take Adam for a bit. My boy would love the company!
I breastfed Max in the aisles of Walmart once. I felt very low-class. But I didn't care enough to go feed him in the car or anything. And anytime I go out with all my kids I feel like a three-ring circus! I've noticed that if I have two or three of my kids people will say things like, "Oh, I have three boys, and they're all two years apart, too!" but when my whole crew is with me they give me a wide berth!
everyone has wt moments, days, weeks, months, etc. everytime jeff takes ben to school without me looking him over, i feel wt when i pick him up. he is usually wearing two different colored socks, pants that are too short and once, two different jackets, both with krusties all over them. it happens with me too, but usually not all that combined. i'm glad to hear that your kids aren't perfect all the time, it gives my kids hope.
Oh Misty I love your story and you know why??? Because all of us mommas know your pain...Seriously people make fun of me cause I don't leave the house....but I swear there is a button or something on the kids when they are out of the house that they will try everything in there power to drive you insane:)
Post a Comment