Friday, July 16, 2010

The Engagement

Shay would get this look on his face. Like he was intensely thinking about something. I would ask, "What are you thinking about?" And he would quickly come up with something, Uh uh, and then say some random thing. Knowing him now, Shay is a thinker. He loves to think and day dream. He did this often and I was always curious what was going on in his mind, I was soon to find out.

Shay took me to meet his family. We had known each other for six weeks. I had already met his dad when he came for a visit. He was great, so I wasn't too nervous. We drove to Washington, his mom filmed part of the visit and looking back I can't help but wonder what they thought of me. I was SOOO young.

That night Shay was tucking me in on the couch. He got that look again. I gave him a minute before I finally asked him what he was thinking. "Well, I was just wondering what it would be like to be with you forever."
"I think that would be nice." I replied.

And just like that we were thinking we might just be getting married. I finally fell asleep with thoughts of white dresses and love eternal.

The next morning I woke feeling the same, but Shay seemed very nervous. Are we sure? Is this too fast?

We went on a walk and talked it out. Prayed and went home to tell his parents.

We came home to Provo. I called my Momma, she wasn't home. So we called my Daddy. They didn't really know I was dating anyone. I just never mentioned it, not knowing how it would turn out or if it would turn into anything. I had dated a couple of guys in Provo and didn't feel the need to mention everyone to my parents. With kids of my own and thinking of how it all went down, I am pretty sure I would react how my Momma did. My Dad took it really well. Does he have a temple recommend? Yes. Did he serve a Mission? Yes. Does he treat you well? Yes, very well. Have you prayed about it? Yes. Okay then.

It was almost so emotionless that I felt bad. But then we called my Momma and I was grateful for how my dad reacted.

We called my mom at church. She was helping with the scouts on Wednesday night. Now I wish I would have waited and called her at home, but I was anxious to tell her. My little brother Joseph went to get her. This is how it all went down.

Momma I am getting married

very calmly- You're lying to me

No momma I'm not

Less calmly- You're lying to me

No I'm not

Much less calmly and very loudly- YOU'RE LYING TO ME, repeated multiple times and dropping the phone.

Joseph- Momma she is not lying to you, just talk to her.

I am not going to talk to her right now, I will call her later.

Joseph please get her to call me at home so we can talk.

Joseph- okay.

Wow, typing it now makes my stomach hurt. I almost feel like crying. It was tough. But what else could I expect? She never wanted me to come to Provo in the first place. You will get married and never come home, she told me. I assured her that wouldn't happen and here I was telling her, her worst fears had come true.

The Official proposal with a ring came later.

Shay wanted it to be a suprise. He asked me out for dinner and said he wanted to stop by somewhere before dinner. Dead give away, Shay never liked to do anything before eating. It was top priority, so I was pretty sure this was it.

He took me to the park where we had gone on our first date. Just as the sun was setting. We sat on the same park bench and he got down on his knee.

Will you be my Eternal Companion?

He was so cute, I could barely stand it. And the aweful experience with my mom didn't matter. All that mattered was Shay and our future. He was my future.

I would love to.

And he put the ring on my finger. He wanted me to see all the rainbows that the ring could produce when the sun hit it. It was nice.

We were Officially Engaged. And we were off to dinner, Italian, my favorite.

1 comment:

christina clark said...

Wow! What was your older brother's response?

con cariƱo, Jeff