Sunday, February 21, 2010

Basketball Diaries

When I was twelve I went out for the girls basketball team. By some chance I made the team. Out of 50 girls, I was one of the 20 that made the team.
I think the Lord was watching out for me. As difficult as things got, I always looked forward to Basketball season. I had somewhere to go. I could get away from the place I called home.
It was so sweet. It helped me find my place.
I played on that team every year from seventh grade until I graduated, except for one. That was the year my dad moved us to Utah. I came back halfway through the season. It broke my heart not to be on the team.
But Coach took me back the next year. She was good to me.
I still have dreams about missing that year. I will dream that I just show up at the school and they will say "where have you been? Get your jersey on."
It is a difficult dream. People counting on me and I am not there.
I needed basketball then. I made some great friends. And I learned a skill that I still use.
I play with the Stake Women's Basketball every Saturday in January-March. Approx.
Our last game was brutal. Double overtime. Double Bonus. One super skinned knee. I can't believe a grown woman with a skinned knee. And how bad it burns. Maybe I am a wimp. But it woke me up multiple times last night. I scored 6 points. I only shot 4 or 5 times so I felt great about that.
I also learned a valuable lesson from talking to Shay the other night. I used what I learned in the game. I usually allow myself to feel very intimidated. Some of the girls are young, not married or no kids. They like the ball and I usually let them have it. They have more energy and drive than a woman with five kids and very little time to exercise. But I used what I have...good bossing skills. I think I led the team and it helped. I am not willing to ask the ladies on the team. I would rather naively think I led them to a victory.
No matter if I did or didn't it was a great game.

1 comment:

likeschocolate said...

Way to go Misty! I am too much of a wimp to play. Growing up it was swimming for me. It played such a positive roll in my life; especially, because the swimming crowd was such a good influence. Hope you have a happy week.fr